SPRING SPORTS SIGN-UPS – It’s that time of year again to get signed up for CC Spring Sports. CC will host online sign ups again for spring sports. Even if you played on a team last year, you need to respond with an email to the head coach in order to get on their distribution list(s) for pertinent team information. Below is an email list for our CC Spring Varsity Head Coaches.
2023 – SPRING VARSITY HEAD COACHES CONTACT LIST
- Boys Baseball – Tim MacKinnon – email@example.com
- Boys Golf – Kim Napieralski – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Boys Lacrosse – Don Boyer – email@example.com
- Girls Lacrosse – Hilary Duda – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Girls Soccer – Art Dorsey – email@example.com
- Girls Softball – Chad Bice – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Girls Tennis – Patricia Williams – email@example.com
- Boys/Girls Track – Jackson Fox – firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send an email to the head coach of the sport you are interested in. If you have specific team sports questions include those in your email also.
Include the following information in your email:
- Student Name
- Student Grade
- Student School Email
- Parent Email
- Parent Phone Number (Do not include student’s phone number)
GIRLS SOCCER SPRING CONDITIONING & LEADERSHIP TRAINING – (3/6-3/10) Any girls 9-12th grade who are interested in playing soccer this spring, we will have a week of conditioning and leadership training. We will meet at the CAT beginning on Monday (3/6) – Friday (3/10) from 3:45-6:00pm.
- 3:45-5:00pm in the weight room with Strength & Conditioning Coach Nelson
- 5:00-6:00pm in CAT lower level team room for leadership training with Coach Dorsey
Contact Coach Dorsey if you have any questions: email@example.com
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED – Eggstranvaganza is on March 25th from 10am-1pm and we are looking for some help. We need many people to help set up, run, and clean up the craft/cookie stations.
CAREER TALKS – We have quite a few Career Talks coming up between now and Spring Break.
These will all count for STEAM hours as well. Sign-up during Focus Times.
- 3/9 – Beth Boshoven Career Talk – Clinical Social Work/Therapist – CC Alumnus
- 3/14 – Dave Aten Career Talk – Architect – Architect at Becker and Sanders Construction
- 3/21 – Katherine Broaddus Career Talk – Attorney – School Law, Attorney, Thrun Law Firm – CC Alumnus
- 3/28 – Sarah Eyk Career Talk – Art/Marketing – Fine Arts Photography and Marketing Ferris Coffee and Nut – CC Alumnus
GOLF CADDIES TRAINING PROGRAM FOCUS TIME – For Freshmen & Sophomores –
On March 2 (Focus time) this Thursday, you are invited to learn more about the training program and scholarship for golf caddies. **Students do not need to have previous experience playing golf. This training program allows a student to get paid training and employment at a local golf course in West Michigan with the potential to earn a FULL RIDE college scholarship. The Evans Scholarship is a full tuition and housing college scholarship for high-achieving golf caddies with limited financial means. Catholic Central has had graduates receive this award. To qualify, caddies must meet the requirements of having a strong caddie record, excellent academics, demonstrated financial need and outstanding character. To learn more, visit: https://wgaesf.org/a-life-changing-opportunity. Questions? Sign up for the March 2 Focus session this Thursday!
STANFORD UNIVERSITY MENTORS QUALIA GLOBAL SCHOLARS – This program is a selective pre-collegiate virtual summer program matching talented students in grades 6-12 with Stanford mentors. It is organized by Stanford University undergraduate and graduate students for pre-collegiate students around the world with diverse backgrounds and interests. This program is designed to leverage the best of liberal arts & STEM education and to empower students to become future global leaders. Top projects receive special awards in various categories. Need-based financial aid is available. Please see the attached FLYER for more information and find the application link at: www.qualiahq.com
RELIGIOUS LIBERTY ESSAY CONTEST – Submissions are being welcomed for the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops’ first Religious Liberty Essay Contest. The competition is open to high school juniors and seniors. The essay prompt and submission information are available at www.usccb.org/religious-liberty-essay. Essays are due March 24. Winners will be announced in May. We have an excellent panel of judges, with representatives from Notre Dame Law School, the University of Dallas, and Becket. The first-place essay will be published in Our Sunday Visitor, and the author will receive a $2,000 scholarship. Second place will receive a $1,000 scholarship, and third place will receive a $500 scholarship. All three winning essays will be published on the USCCB website. We will also acknowledge the school that submits the most essays. If you have any questions, please contact Aaron Weldon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
VOCATIONS SCHOLARSHIP – The Diocese of Grand Rapids is offering $1,000 Vocation scholarships to students who are discerning a priestly or consecrated life vocation. Please see the attached form for students to fill out and the flyer about the scholarship. Awards will go towards tuition and may be renewed. All applications are reviewed by Fr. Stephen Durkee. Applicants must meet the following qualifications.
- A Catholic high school student in the Diocese of Grand Rapids (sophomore or higher grade)
- A participant in the school’s discernment program (see application form for details)
- A participant in the diocesan discernment program for at least one year (for male candidates)
- Available to meet with a religious sister once a semester (for female candidates not attending a discernment program)
SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES FOR SENIORS – Here are the current scholarship opportunities available to students. Please note the due dates for each scholarship; Scholarships are listed in order of their due date.
- The Polish Heritage Society of Grand Rapids – Due 3-15-2023
- ChoiceOne Bank – Due 3-17-2023
- Better Business Bureau Trust Scholarship – Due 3-20-2023
- Community West Credit Union – Due 3-22-2023
- Colleges That Change Lives – Due 3-24-2023
- Kampfschulte Scholarship – Due 3-29-2023
- Hernes Scholarship – Due – 3-29-2023
- MSU-Jim Brown & Katherin Brown Scholarship – Due – 3-30-2023
- 2023 Kelsey’s Law Distracted Driver Awareness Scholarship – Due – 3-31-2023
- UCB Family Epilepsy Scholarship Program – Due – 3-31-2023
- WID (Women in Defense) Junior Horizon Award – Due – 3-31-2023
- Maureen Fielder Scholarship – Due 4-10-2023
- Scholarship Guidance – Multiple Dates
- Fastweb – Multiple Dates
- Student Scholarships – Multiple Dates
COLLEGE VISITS – The following colleges have scheduled informational meetings during Focus periods. The meetings are open to students in grades 10-12. Please sign up in Focus.
- 3/2/2023 – Calvin University
- 3/14/2023 – Butler University
- 4/13/2023 – Lake Superior State
COLLEGE FAIR – Please join us for the National Christian College Fair West Michigan region on 3/14/2023 from 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm hosted at Grand Rapids Christian High School, Quest Center, 2300 Plymouth Ave SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49506. We will have 30+ Christian colleges from all over the United States and Canada looking forward to connecting with great students like you!
This event is open to the public. High school students in 9th – 12th grade, transfer students and their families are welcome. See you there!
LOOKING AHEAD FOR LUNCH – All entrees are served with fruit, veggies, and milk
- Thursday, March 2 – Rotini with Meat Sauce
- Monday, March 6 – Fried Chicken with Baked Potato
- Tuesday, March 7 – Taco Tuesday
- Wednesday, March 8 – Pulled Pork on a Whole Wheat Bun
- Thursday, March 9 – Cheese Lasagna with Marinara
- Friday, March 10 – Cheese or Veggie Pizza
BLESSING OF THE DAY – May you be blessed by God when you begin to feel the pangs of resentment or envy. In those times may you open your own heart and see the utter uniqueness of your existence. May you see yourself as God sees you…beautifully and wonderfully made…in God’s very image! May you see the eyes of God gazing back at you with eternal pride and ever unconditional love. May these be the eyes with which you gaze upon those around you. May the God Within be blessing for you. –Maxine Shonk, OP